Friday, September 4, 2015

Exploring Santee Alley in Downtown Los Angeles




Top by Chaser. Shorts by Ambiance Apparel. Hat purchased at Third Street Promenade. Glasses by Ralph Lauren. Shoes by Aldo. Bag by Old Navy. 


My Purchases



Slip-ons by Soda. Sandals by Italina. Dress by Audrey 3+1. Skirt by Hot & Delicious. 


In a few of my previous blog posts I touched upon visiting Santee Alley and the surrounding Fashion District of Downtown Los Angeles. It's always had a special place in my heart for two reasons-- its undeniably unique culture and the memories I have from coming here decades ago with my mom. I remember many years ago Downtown Los Angeles was synonymous with "knock-offs," and although there is still some presence of this, this shopping district has developed vastly to offer diverse and contemporary and often rare goods, at extremely discounted prices. However in all its development you can be sure the ambiance remains just as busy, rambunctious, with a great prevalence of Latino culture (the heart and start of Los Angeles). 

I urge all locals and visitor of Los Angeles to visit this area at least once as it gives a different perspective on Los Angeles and its diversity. What you must know if you plan to come here is you need several hours to explore this region, bring cash (many places do not accept credit or debit cards, and may even give a discount if you pay in cash), bring a friend (there are still areas of downtown which are considered unsafe). Santee Alley itself is located on 210 E. Olympic Blvd. My advice is to use this as your central point and take the time to discover surrounding shops based around it; this will make it easier to navigate. In prior years it was considered the norm to haggle over price at downtown shops, and although this is still being done, don't be surprised if a vendor refuses this practice-- the economy and culture of this locale is slowly shifting. Without a doubt however, you will get an unbeatable price!!! Another trick of the trade when shopping here is you will notice many stores carry the same items, so be careful when purchasing something on a whim, my motto is if it seems overpriced, keep looking around; you may find the same thing for less in another store. It's also wise to check for quality, even it the price is low you still want your purchase to last for some time! 

Usually my last stop of the excursion is Michael Levine, a fabric store located on 920 Maple Ave S. Even if it's just to peek around the beautiful patterns and textures of their beyond huge selection, I always feel inspired. Often it's a great alternative to purchase a favorite fabric for a small project, or if you have a great idea in mind which a seamstress can put to use. I purchased linen fabric here which I used to create curtain sheers for my window-- The total of this project was under $150 (including hired labor)!

No comments:

Post a Comment